Nokia 8110 first look: Another reworked classic, but is it better than the 3310?

The Nokia 3310 took MWC 2017 by storm, even though it was a  clear marketing ploy. Nokia told me it has sold a lot of those phones and this year at MWC 2018 it’s following it up with another reworked classic – the Nokia 8110.

Nokia 8110 4G release date and price: You’ll be able to pick up the Nokia 8110 for around €79 when it ships in May. Nokia hasn’t confirmed UK or US pricing.

I have to admit that I don’t feel any nostalgia or fondness for the 8110. That’s probably to do with the fact it came out in 1996 and I hadn’t even started school then. When I asked the rest of the Trusted Reviews team they responded with equal ambivalence – with the single memory being that it featured in the original The Matrix film.

It might not be as iconic as the 3310, but it’s certainly got a quirky design – it looks like a banana, especially in the bright yellow colour I saw. The phone curves, with the keyboard hidden by a retro sliding cover. I haven’t seen anything like this in years and it made me smile.
Unlike the Nokia 3310 from last year, the 8110 feels a bit more feature-packed. It has Wi-Fi, basic app support and 4G. Saying that, this is still very much a ‘feature phone’ – so don’t expect it to come running Android or have any access to the Google Play store. Nokia reps told me you’ll be able download a Facebook app and hopefully more in the future.
The screen measures 2.4-inches, there’s 512MB RAM, a camera on the back and it can be used as a 4G hotspot for other devices. But, really, specs don’t matter there. This isn’t a device most of us would buy as a main phone, it’s much more likely to be a secondary phone at festivals.

The one spec that puts smartphones to shame is the battery life. Nokia said it should last 20 days on a single-charge or a single eight-hour phone call. Can your iPhone X do that?

First impressions

It might not be as iconic as the 3310, but the 8110 certainly leaves less of a sour cash-grab taste in my mouth. This has a few features that could genuinely make it a decent secondary phone, plus the design will bring a smile to your face.
 THE END I NEED COMMENT